Keep kids cosy and comfortable at night camping with the ideal sleeping bag for your conditions
When it’s time to graduate beyond camping trips to the living room or even the backyard, you will need a safe, comfortable and reliable sleeping back to compliment your kids’ outdoor adventures.
A child’s sleeping bag can range from novelty to essential. Here we’re going to take you through all the important qualities you need to look for in a great child’s sleeping bag, plus all the best brands to cope with the weather conditions you’ll likely face on a family camping trip.
This post is part of our best travel products series and outdoor adventures with kids
Why do kids need a sleeping bag for camping?
Other than perhaps the roof over their heads (ie the tent!) the most important part of ensuring a good night’s sleep when camping with your kids is that they feel warm and snug. A sleeping bag won’t just keep them soft and snug, it should help your child to regulate their body temperature whilst and keep them safe from the elements.
A specialised children’s sleeping bag shares many qualities with a grown-up sleeping bag but normally comes in a smaller size so you have a more snug fit to their body.
If you are looking for sleeping bags for toddlers, pop over to this toddler sleeping bag guide where we talk specifically about the smallest sleeping bag products on the market.
How to Buy the Best Kids Sleeping Bags: Buying Guide for Camping Sleeping Bags for Kids
During a camping trip with your family, it’s vital that your kids (and you!) get a good night’s sleep to replenish their energy. To be fair, that’s the everyday truth of a parent’s life! Sleeping away from their normal environment it’s even more important that they feel warm and snug, so here’s what to look for when choosing the right sort of kids camping sleeping bag:
Sleeping bags usually have two types of insulation – down and synthetic. Down is considered better because it is warmer and yet lighter and becomes smaller when folded. Naturally, it is more expensive. Besides the price, another downside is that if it’s wet or moist, it loses its insulating capabilities.
With synthetic insulation, you don’t have to worry about the loss of insulation. It can keep your child warm even if it’s moist. Plus, it is cheaper, which makes it a wiser option for growing children. You can also choose natural fiber insulation like hollow cotton, which is soft but can be a little bulkier than polyester filled sleeping bags.
Whether your child decides to take responsibility for their own sleeping bag or you end up carrying it during the trip, the item needs to be light and small. Even if you’re considering synthetic or natural fiber camping sleeping bags for kids, make sure that it’s compressible and packs light for better portability.
The face fabric, i.e., the material used to make the outer shell of the sleeping bag, should be strong and durable. That’s essential for the extended life of the sleeping bag. You can choose a sleeping bag with a nylon or polyester shell and has a water repellent finish to keep out dampness or moisture.
Don’t make the mistake of buying a sleeping bag that’s too large for your child. Many parents do that with the hope that their children won’t outgrow the sleeping bag anytime soon. But remember that a sleeping bag can only keep your child warm if it fits properly. You can choose adjustable sleeping bags for a better fit.
Children’s sleeping bags don’t come with the regular EN 13537 temperature ratings. So manufacturers use their own ways to rate their products. Generally, summer sleeping bags are for +50° F and above, while 3-season bags work between +15° F and +50° F. For protection below +15° F, go for specialised winter sleeping bags.
Best Camping Sleeping bag for Kids
Now that you know the important features to look for, let’s check out some of the lading brands of kids sleeping bags for camping.
Best sleeeping bags for infants: Morrison Outdoors Little Mo Sleeping Bag
Planning on going camping with a tiny tot? Don’t forget to invest in Morrison Outdoors Little Mo Sleeping Bag. Designed for youngsters between 6 and 24 months, this sleeping bag is a must-have to keep your child warm during a family trip. It has sleeves that prevent your kid from feeling constricted, and you can open or shut the cuffs to let them use their hands or stay warm.
What we love:
- Great design for toddlers – with sleeves to allow activities
- Thick insulation to keep children warm at 40° F
- Lightweight and easy to fit into your rucksack
- Provides the same comfort as fleece
- Exchange program to return old gear for a new one for a growing child
Best Sleeping Bag for Little Kids: Kelty Woobie 30 Degree Kids Sleeping Bag
Perfect for your smaller child taking big outdoor adventures, this extra warm little kids leeping bag is ideal for your under 5’s who need a nice snug fit.
- Sized specifically for younger children
- Rated to 30° F for a comfortable sleep even in winter
- Fits a child up to 4 foot, approx 5 years old
Best Sleeping Bag for Grade-School Kids: Coleman Kids 50 Sleeping Bag
Trusted camping brand Coleman come through with the goods in this attractive sleeping bag for little kids approximately 6 to 10 years old. Available in blue, pink and teal, the stylish design works best in cool temperatures and is sure to give your little ones a comfy nights sleep with a draft tube along the zipper stopping heat from escaping.
What we love:
- Thermotech Insulation to 50° F
- Comfort Cuff design to keep soft fabric around the face
- ZipPlow zipper for snag-free opening and closing
- 2 can be zipped together to double the size
- Interior tuck pocket for small items
- Recommend for kids aged 6 and up to 5ft tall
If your kid is on the taller side or likes their sleeping bag to completely cover their head, then you may prefer the Coleman Plum Fun 45 Youth Sleeping bag – best up to 5′ 5″
Also consider: AceCamp Glow in The Dark Mummy Sleeping Bag for Kids
The AceCamp Glow in The Dark Mummy Sleeping Bag for Kids is something that your little kids will love. That’s because it has a lovely astrological sign pattern that glows in the dark – and won’t fade even after prolonged use! The zipper is easy for you, as well as your little one. It can keep your kid warm even at the freezing point.
What we love:
- Available in two sizes for children and young adults
- Long-lasting glow-in-the-dark pattern
- Ergonomic design for all-night comfort even at 30° F
- Comes with a bag that compresses the sleeping bag to almost 1/10th of its size
- Easy to use due to the drawstring around the hood and the zipper
Best summer sleeping bag for kids: Wildkin Kids Sleeping Bag for Boys & Girls
The Wildkin Kids Sleeping Bag for Boys & Girls is one of the best kids sleeping bags. Your little munchkin might go for summer camp or have a sleepover in the backyard in their kiddie tent. Either way, this sleeping bag is a must-have during family trips providing warmth and comfort to kids as young as 3-year olds. Plus, they’ll love the range of cute animal and vehicle patterns!
What we love:
- Ideal for children between 3 and 10 years
- Soft material to give added comfort to fussy young campers
- Machine washable cotton/polyester blend
- Ideal for outdoor activities from backyard campouts to hiking trips
- Rolls up into the carry bag that comes with it, reducing to almost 1/3rd of the original size
- Comes with plenty of matching travel gear including backpacks, lunchboxes, sleep mats
Best Mummy-style sleeping bag for kids: Colemen Kids Mummy Type Sleeping Bag for Camping
One of the best sleeping bags for kids who have just started taking an interest in outdoor activities like camping is the Colemen Kids Mummy Type Sleeping Bag for Camping. It weighs about 2.6 lbs, making it light enough for your kids to carry. Its polyester filling offers warmth even on moist nights. It’s more expensive than most kids’ sleeping bags, but for good reasons.
What we love:
- Adjustable length for long-term use
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Highly compressible, reducing to about 1/5th of the original size
- Ideal for children who have just started joining outdoor camping trips
- Comes in orange and blue, plain outer but colorful inside lining
Best for winter camping: FARLAND Sleeping Bag
A sleeping bag that works in all seasons and keeps your teenage or preteen kid warm even in super cold weather, the FARLAND Sleeping Bag is an excellent choice. This 3 season camping bag comes in both a mummy and envelope shape in a good variety of colors, with a waterproof nylon outer and polyester fibre filling – a super comfortable nights sleep.
What we love:
- Ideal for preteen and teenage campers
- Works well in all weather conditions, even at 20° F (-7°C to 17°C)
- Comes with a compression sack to fit the sleeping bag
- Adjustable hood with drawstring for snugness and warmth
- Can come in left and right envelope design if you’d like to zip 2 together
Also consider: Vabogu Camping Sleeping Bag
The Vabogu Camping Sleeping Bag is one of the best kids sleeping bags for camping in all four seasons. It is designed for kids, keeping in mind their messy ways and sensitive skin. It is so light that your kid will never complain about carrying it and designed for a snug fit to prevent cold.
What we love:
- Perfect for all seasons, even in frigid temperatures
- Lightweight and easily compressible into the bag that comes with it
- Waterproof and easy to clean by wiping just with hands
- Hood with adjustable drawstring for improved insulation
- Weatherproof design and double filling to prevent moisture
Best sleeping bag for teens: Oaskys 3 Season Warm & Cool Weather Camping Sleeping Bag
A sleeping bag with a weather-resistant design, the Oaskys 3 Season Warm & Cool Weather Camping Sleeping Bag is really useful for your taller kids. It is excellent for trips during the summer, spring, and fall and is available in three different size options. Made from waterproof polyester it can be easily wiped clean and comes in a good variety of vibrant camping colors.
What we love:
- Ideal for camping trips during cool temperatures of 50°F and above
- Waterproof and weatherproof for complete protection
- Zipper at the bottom to free the feet if it gets warm inside
- Drawstring adjustability around the hood for better fit and warmth
- Easy to manoeuvre and store inside compression bag
Also consider: Favorland Sleeping Bag for 3 Season Weather
Have you ever seen a sleeping bag that can turn into a quilt for your kid? The Favorland Sleeping Bag for 3 Season Weather, with zipper closure, allows you to open the sleeping bag completely. It is great for cool-season camping, keeping your child protected and comfortable in summer, spring, and fall recommended for 50°F to 68°F (10°C to 20°C). It’s light, compressible, and easy to carry.
What we love:
- Provides warmth and comfort during the cooler shoulder seasons
- Equipped with a zipper to open the sleeping bag and make it a quilt
- Elastic rope to adjust the tightness of the nightcap
- Hollow microfiber that allows breathability and lightness
- Comes with a compressive tote bag for portability
Best adjustable length sleeping bag: REDCAMP Kids Mummy Sleeping Bag for Camping
Does your child love camping, hiking, backpacking, and other adventure trips? Then the REDCAMP Kids Mummy Sleeping Bag for Camping is one of the best sleeping bags for kids in their preteen and teen years. It is an affordable sleeping bed option in two different versions for various temperature levels and extendable length to grow with your child.
What we love:
- Adjustable length for children of any height
- Drawstring in the hood for a snug and warm fit
- Weighs 2.4 lbs or 3.3 lbs, depending on which version you buy
- Available in vibrant pink or blue with two different insulation levels (32°F to 59°F and 41°F to 59°F)
- Comes with a small storage bag in which the sleeping bag fits easily
Got all your family camping gear sorted yet?
We have an absolute bumper guide over here for all the items you need to think about packing for a family camping trip. Or, simply sign up to our mailing list here and immediately access this easy-to-use printable checklist
Found this family camping gear guide helpful?
You may also want to check out more advice and reviews from our camping and outdoor adventure series on Our Globetrotters:
Helpful? Bookmark this page or save it to Pinterest for later
Disclosures: We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
© Our Globetrotters | Feature Images CanvaPro